Challenges to Democracy in the 21st Century
The National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) Democracy is a multi-disciplinary research program launched by the Swiss National Science Foundation in 2005. The program examines the key challenges to democracy today and traces them to two major trends: globalization and the growing influence of the media on politics.
The NCCR’s basic research questions are: How are established democracies changing under the conditions of globalization and the mediatization of politics? And how can democracy be promoted horizontally (to non-democratic countries) and vertically (to supra-national regimes like the EU, the WTO, etc)? More
News & Events
- Autonomy and Sovereignty Referendums: The Catalan Case from a Swiss Perspective
- Public roundtable discussion on Thursday, 5 March 2015, 18:00-19:30 at the University of Zurich, main building, Rämistrasse 71, Room KOL F 117. More
- 7th Aarau Democracy Days: (Un-)Equality and Democracy
- 26/27 March 2015, Kultur- & Kongresshaus Aarau More
- Apply now: Swiss Summer School on "Democratic innovations"
- The 2nd Swiss Summer School in Democracy Studies on „Democratic Innovations” will take place at the University of Zurich, 22-26 June 2015. Application deadline: 15 March 2015 More