Challenges to Democracy in the 21st Century
The National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) Democracy is a multi-disciplinary research program launched by the Swiss National Science Foundation in 2005. The program examines the key challenges to democracy today and traces them to two major trends: globalization and the growing influence of the media on politics.
The NCCR’s basic research questions are: How are established democracies changing under the conditions of globalization and the mediatization of politics? And how can democracy be promoted horizontally (to non-democratic countries) and vertically (to supra-national regimes like the EU, the WTO, etc)? More
News & Events
- 8th Aarau Democracy Days: "Political rights for foreigners?"
- 17/18 March 2016, Kultur- & Kongresshaus Aarau, in German. More
- International conference “Citizen participation in local governance in China and beyond”
- 8–9 September 2016, University of Zurich More
- Democracy: Bridging facts and norms
- Event series at the University of Zurich on the relationship between democratic ideals and democratic pratice. The series continues with a public lecture on 18 February on “Justice, democracy and the unconditional basic income” by Philippe Van Parijs (Université Catholique de Louvain). More