Admission and Application
The DPDS is open to outstanding doctoral students who:
- Are interested in democracy issues,
- Hold a MA in political science, media science, philosophy or a related social science discipline,
- Are fluent in English,
- Have not yet started with their Ph.D. or are in an initial phase,
- Intend to do their doctorate within a structured doctoral program,
- Bring their own funding (hold a job, a fellowship or other).
The three steps of the DPDS application process
1. Submission of application dossier (in ONE pdf file) to the DPDS program coordinator (no deadline)
- A letter of motivation,
- A written statement on how your individual funding (to cover your living expenses) is intended to be assured,
- PhD outline / outline of research idea (max. 2 pages),
- Copy of diplomas,
- Summary of courses in quantitative and/or qualitative research methods,
- Two letters of recommendation (not older than 2 years, provided by professors).
On the condition that the DPDS board of directors (BoD) supports your application, it will assist you - if needed - to find a supervisor at the University of Zurich or at any other university in Switzerland.